ROOM TO RECEIVE
They will tell about us
The “us” defines Giani and his workshop but more generally the group of artists or craftsmen who begins working in Faenza as early as 1786.
The reconstruction works of the building are a few years earlier than the period in which Francesco Milzetti commissioned the works. In 1792 his father Nicola launches the construction site, entrusting to architect Giuseppe Pistocchi the reconstruction of the Palace, that has been damaged by an earthquake a few years before. Pistocchi works mainly on the external facade characterized by an unusual chiaroscuro. The architect abandons the works shortly after their beginning as he is arrested due to his Jacobin ideals of freedom, equality and brotherhood, ideals that Giani too shared.
The Laderchi family plays a fundamental role in the dynamics of Francesco’s life: they introduce Antolini to the Count and from this meeting the construction of this masterpiece we can admire today begins.
The construction of the building brings life to a new and widespread idea of an aristocratic residence based on functionality and efficiency where the reworking of the rooms dialogues perfectly with the decoration.
Antolini and Giani become friends in Rome but in the Palace they do not work directly together because the architect is busy with other commissions, carries out the projects but does not directly.